Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Peter the Great


I have been reading a great, thorough, dense book about Peter the Great. It's really quite a fascinating read, given how fascinating he was. The author of the book took 10 years researching & writing, and it covers Peter the Great's entire life, along with information & background to all his relevant contemporaries.

I've always wanted to go to St. Petersburg, but after reading about the history of the city, I'm really keen to go. Any takers?

An interesting aside about this book: I was at the gym one evening and I had the book with me. There was a woman at the class who I recognized from another class at the same gym. At the last class, she had told me that she finished reading a book on Peter the Great. She saw the book in my hand, that wasn't just a random thing she said. And, how fascinating he was. All that. Then when she saw me again, she asked about the book, and the author, etc. She was talking to her friend about how she is leaving soon for the Sudan.

Of course, I got nosy and asked why she was going, etc. She works for the UN, and so does her friend. When they asked me what I do for a living. I gave my usual answer of dominatrix. No. I told the truth. The woman from the previous class said: I would never have guessed it. A lawyer who reads about Peter the Great!"

Either she doesn't know many lawyers, which is likely. Or she only knows lawyers with no interests, which is equally likely. Or I'm special, which is most likely.

Anyway, I present the man I've spent many nights curled up with in bed:

No comments: