Monday, July 23, 2007

hej hej kobenhavn . . .

sweet sweet sleep, back in S's grown-up bed. woke up, read more of my book [i'm reading "mockingbird", a book about harper lee], checked e-mail. the ussssssual. i had about 20 postcards to write. i bought about 20 postcards and stamps, so i speed-wrote postcards, showered, ate the special danish breakfast that S made for me (i had it SO good in denmark). S was absolutely determined that my experience departing copenhagen be nothing like the hell that is known by the name tegel. and i really don't want to buy two plane tickets to all my destinations. so, i got to the airport in copenhagen early enough to check out the specimen of airport-ly wonder before me. copenhagen's airport was everything that tegel is not: logical, organized, helpful & accurate posting of information. all of the things i value in an international transportation hub.

there is very good reason that copenhagen won the best airport in the world award many times in a row. and also, there is really amazing fancypants shopping in that airport. but despite not having to purchase a last-minute ticket leaving me flush and whatnot, i decided to avoid any mall-like environment and opted instead to shower elderly danish people with my smiles. again, there's something grumpy about gutteral languaged peoples in this part of the world. they do not like to smile. they mistrust people. they think that smiling costs euros or something. there is something delicious about smiling at grumpy old people. it makes them wonder what you are so happy about.

one negative of my experience at copenhagen's airport. danish people are MAJOR stop-shorts. they stop short all over the place. it's a country full of captain oblivious-ii. oblivious-es. oblivious-ii. anyway. the last incident of the stop short disease took place as mr. and mrs. godawfulunhappy entered the departure lounge for our flight. they walked in the doorway and stopped SHORT. danny devito short. that guy who played mini-me on austin powers short. martin short. god. so as i divert my velocity so as i do not run into them, i say "excuse me" to get past them. i say it nice. i'm using my nice, indoor voice. the guy, thinking i was too far to hear his nasal voice, mimicked me and said "excuse me" in a singsong voice. that's when i looked him squarely in the eye, smiled brightly and said, "i see i amuse you. maybe you would like to stop and consider the meaning of life somewhere besides the only access to and from this room." okay, i didn't say that. i did smile though, intently enough for him to smile back sheepishly realizing that i had heard his stank a*s.

the flight was very nice. nothing eventful happened.

at the amsterdam airport, my luggage was super late. apparently it was on "stand-by". my check-in bag was something like 7 kg overweight. i had to go to customer service in copenhagen to pay for the extra kgs. but the woman at the customer service counter cut me a break, so i didn't have to pay. she just stamped it valid anyway. eventually, my luggage did come. it was practically the last bag.

i grabbed my bag. tried to use my useless unlocked cell phone with the netherlands SIM card, which is NOT working at all. [bastards at lycamobile]. then called my host at the hague, P.S., from a payphone. P.S. is a very sweet person. mainly because my friend L.G. says so. but also because he is the male version of me. but mostly because he (and his two roommates, C & A) are letting me stay in their apartment for 3 weeks. 3 weeks! P.S. even vacated his own room for me. now that's kwality people.

so the routine at chez P.S. et al. is ordering in (bonjour deja vu from brooklyn) and watching tv (yippy). we ordered pizza, watched tv [really bad movies that were out in theatres about 20 years ago and are now being shown on dutch television in the hopes that people have finally forgotten how shitttastic they were to begin with.]

sweet slumber in the hague. gotta get up early to go to my class tomorrow morning.

No comments: