Thursday, February 3, 2011

but first, a mattress

i am slowly moving into my new place. m.r., my roomie, has been here since january 1, while i camped out at my parents' place while they were away. they are now back and my motivation to properly move in has hit an all-time high. i love my parents. i just love them more from afar.

while my belongings continue to collect dust on atlantic avenue, due to my own procrastination and anxiety about moving, i am living like a refugee in my new room. courtesy of friends of d.b.'s in victoria, i have a table. courtesy of r.g., i have an air mattress & sleeping bag.

but soon (hopefully as soon as later this morning), i will have a proper mattress. step one to really moving in. this mattress can't arrive soon enough since i didn't get any sleep last night on the air mattress. and it's a decent one, too. but an air mattress is an air mattress, and possibly i was too giddy with excitement about my real mattress.

i have a meeting with the canadian border services agency today to go over the list of things i want to move back to vancouver. k.r. is going to take my couch. i will miss that couch, but it is one less thing to worry about. although what's one more thing when you have 58 boxes. i am frankly perplexed as to where this stuff will go when it arrives. whenever that will be. though going to the csba is step one of the process of moving it back, i still do have to actually set up the move. given my foot-dragging on this task over the many, many, many months preceding this one, i have no real reason to think i will do anything about moving my stuff until long after it makes any sense to move it. if i haven't already hit that point.

ah.

but, at least i am working. yes! i started a consulting / contract gig with a small US-based non-governmental organization that does work in india. i am not going to make my first million doing this, but if i can eat, sleep and clothe myself somewhat fashionably, then perhaps that will be enough. the one thing i will miss more than anything else is the luxury of having disposal income for travel. i have been gone from law firm life for almost 2 years (it'll be 2 years in april). i miss not having to budget for travel or forgo travel altogether. now i have more time than ever, but no $ to spend.

unless i win the lottery!

No comments: