Thursday, August 21, 2008

one more new culinary find in the FinDis

First, an aside:

I'm trying to come up with a trendstery name for my work 'hood. The financial district doesn't roll off the tongue like SoHo or Dumbo or NoLiTa or TriBeCa.

A few thoughts.

(1) FinDis
(2) FiDi
(3) 'Cial (pronounced 'shl')
(4) The District

Please add better suggestions. These suck.

Second, the main point.

Hot on the heels of hearing about one new culinary delight in The District comes another. Crumbs has arrived at 87 Beaver Street (between Hanover & Wall). !!! Delicious cupcakes a short jaunt away. Watch out waistline!! Again, another place where D.G. can eat away his depression at returning to the starship in October.

http://www.crumbsbakeshop.com/

[All these fine foods are arriving shortly after fance shopping has hit The District. Yes, in recent times, a Thomas Pink, Hermes & Tiffany's opened on or around The Street. I have always loved working in The District because it has a crazy, awesome history. Forget MidTown. The only thing worth exploring there is the Conde Nast cafeteria, which a schlub like me couldn't access anyway. The District is where Manhattan was born. Two complaints I hear from people working down here is that there are (a) less than prime eats (especially post 9/11. as K.R. and I were discussing, the Al Quada effort was to hit New Yorkers where it hurts most: their guts. But, I digress) and (b) no places to shop (though, heads up people: there is an outpost of the Strand not far on Fulton Street). So I suppose these new businesses in The District might chip away at those complaints. All I can say is: FroYo and Cupcakes!!!!]

No comments: