Thursday, October 4, 2007

vancouver, my lovely...

09.21.07:

i love vancouver. i'm entirely biased. but my views are propped up by the yearly survey that tells you the best places to live. they agree. they love it too. but my love for vancouver started when i was a lowly undergrad at UBC. well my love started before that, actually. but i'll start with UBC. i wanted to go to school in vancouver so much that i don't think i applied to any other schools. maybe that was cocky, or maybe it was one of my few decisive decisions.

trips back to vancouver feel like home-comings. i have a few friends kicking around from those days. and a lot of friends in vancouver from law school. so the combination of knowing a city + knowing cool people there = warm, fuzzy feelings. i even love the drizzle. i love knowing where to go. where to eat. where to shop. where to sip lattes. where to browse books. where booster juice is. that i can have wicked awesome sushi that blows NYC sushi out of the water. that i will slot myself back into the lives of my friends as though i was gone in just a blink of the eye.

my first plan was to meet D.B. for lunch. i got the meeting place super early (a hotel where her conference was going on -- p.s. D.B. is in vancouver whenever i seem to be - a feat in itself. and i appreciate it so much, since this visit was going to be a victoria-free one (unfortunately - just not enough time - i already felt like the weekend would breeze by).)

we met & had lunch at the hotel. hugs all around. good hugs. hearty hugs. the kind of hug where you feel every ounce of love. not sophisticated hugs where arms & shoulders barely graze and i always seem to go in too fast and too close. we had the exact same order. the burgers were yummy. before we knew it, an hour was up and D.B. had to go back to her conference. so not enough time. D.B. and i are talker-machines when we're together. so 1 hour is scratch the surface, i've been living sort of chatter. not the heart to hearts we could have if i would just move my butt back to victoria (i'm sure D.B. would take me moving to vancouver also).

my tedious, tangent-filled, verbose ramblings about the rest of my friday will have to wait until later.

1 comment:

Dea B said...

You are a good hugger! Testify!

If you get your arse back to this coast, I won't grouse about which city you pick...